Thursday, September 4, 2008

Greetings from Korea

I hope this doesn't become a theme - waiting for weeks to post and being in a completely different location posting about places I've been previously...

To recap - I got back from Alaska then had a few days to tie up loose ends and pack. Then my dad and uncle came out and we attempted to climb Mt. Rainier. The weather gods did not smile kindly on us and we were "lulled" to sleep in the public shelter at Camp Muir by howling winds and awoke to quite a bit of fresh snow the next morning. The sun came out but the wind kept cranking. We hiked up to Ingraham flats intending to return to Muir and camp out for the night and assess making a summit attempt from there. The hike up to the flats sufficiently scared the bejezus out of everyone except Chris - that and avalanche conditions were more than scary. So we slept in the next day and headed back down - into the rain. So while we didn't summit, Bill and Dad got to experience the full range of what the Mountain has to offer - they can look at is as more bang for their buck! Bill and Dad were both in great shape, and I have no doubt they would have made it up weather permitting so we'll all have to attempt it again when we return! Unfortunately all my pictures are on my computer - because I forgot to upload them before I left, so you will have to use your imagination on what it all must have looked like!

After that Chris and I returned to Seattle and had about a day to pack up before I left for Korea - which is where I am now. Chris will be over here in a couple of days. It's hot, it's humid, there are crickets and locusts (which is REALLY exciting because it's one thing I really miss about the US), and there is LOTS and LOTS of confusion because my Korean is TERRIBLE. Luckily my aunt is about the most patient person in the world (which says alot because I don't believe Koreans are genetically predisposed to that) and we've been having lots of fun running errands together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home